Friday, December 17, 2010

Get To Know Your Fighters - Casey Hudecki

For your edification we present to you "Get To Know Your Fighters" where you . . . get to know the fighters . . . from DUEL OF AGES.  Because, as we all know, knowledge is power.  As is the ability to kick ass.


Casey Hudecki
Producer of DUEL OF AGES
Roles in DUEL OF AGES: Maupin (La Maupin), Crazy Ninja Death Squad (One)




How long have you been fighting.  Uh . . . the fake kind of fighting?
I caught the fight bug at the tender age of sixteen... though I guess I wasn't THAT tender, even then :) So I've been teaching, performing and directing for thirteen years... don't do the math.

What got you interested in Stage Combat?
I was doing a show called Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) and I had to sword fight as Mercutio and Desdemona. Dan Levinson came in to fight direct and I loved it so much in the next three months I had already gone through and passed my Basic Certification Level. I never stopped. I love physical storytelling, and fight scenes, for me, cut to the very heart of characters - how do they face death and pain? What lengths will they go to to survive?

Tell us about a memorable fight moment you've had.
There are so many. Those moments when everything goes wrong (as everything invariably tends to do) but you stay connected with your partner(s). It's like any scene - if someone flubs a line, or misses an entrance - the energy of the actors just goes on overdrive as you work to keep the story moving. When that happens in a fight - it's the same thing only of course there's the potential for real danger - so when you overcome it the feeling is epic. This has happened twice in La Maupin (which you guys will see in the show) once I actually disarmed one of the guys while all three were fighting me, and I found an opening to pick up his sword, hand it back to him, we saluted, and then all picked up the fight at the same moment - and still timed out with the music! It was awesome. And in 2007 at the Fringe, in the same scene, the music cut out early on. All six dancers, we four fighters and the lady just kept it going and we had done it so many times that we were able to still, without any musical landmarks, finish the fight with no dancers stabbed and with the audience totally unaware. It could have been ugly.

Favourite weapon (and why):
Everyone will say I love the smallsword best, and yes, the smallsword and I have a deep and meaningful relationship. It's so pretty, and so devastating. But I also have a two handed longsword, named Zornhau, and sometimes I just need to get in touch with that primal, low, full body weapon style. Feels good. There's nothing wrong with having it out hand to hand either, something so pure about that.

Favourite Fight film/play:
I really love the fight in Rob Roy - Colichemarde vs. basket hilted broadsword - watching those two different weapon styles go at each other is fascinating. And the way Tim Roth moves in that fight.... well... yeah, it's really good.

Favourite famous fighter:
I grew up watching Harrison Ford - he plays the 'ordinary man in extraordinary circumstances' (to steal a phrase from the Legend, Anthony Delongis) so well. I loved the original (as opposed to the CGI animation the "Crystal Skull) Indiana Jones movies because when he gets hit, he gets HURT - and he just keeps trying. He's human, but he's fighting. And then there's Jet Li (So beautiful to watch!). And Jackie Chan (King of selling wounds! and Ingenuity).

Role you wish you could have played:
I really wanted to be Eowyn... but... yeah

Favourite drink that audience members should buy you after witnessing your awesome in Duel of Ages:
Belgian Beer! Preferably Leffe Blonde... Barring that, Rickards Red, or a Heineken (only in the bottle), gin and tonic if it were the summer, but in the winter Red Wine (Shiraz, preferably Long Flat) ...but I"m not picky. :)  And if Todd Campbell doesn't answer this question - he likes Rickards White/Blanche de Chambly - with an Orange. Lots of it!

Anything else you'd like to plug:

If you like what we do, come get some training! Classes at Rapier Wit, or with me? Contact me through www.caseyhudecki.com Enjoy the Show!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I might need to add Donnie Yen in IP MAN to my favourite fighter list. It's also a great movie to showcase how beautiful and how deadly wing chun can be. Love the wing chun!