Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Get To Know Your Fighters - Daniel Levinson

For your edification we present to you "Get To Know Your Fighters" where you . . . get to know the fighters . . . from DUEL OF AGES.  Because, as we all know, knowledge is power.  As is the ability to kick ass.

Daniel Levinson
Writer/Director/Fight Director for DUEL OF AGES
ROLE in DUEL OF AGES:  Jarnac (Le Coup)



How long have you been fighting.  Uh . . . the fake kind of fighting?
 I first took training in 1988 and began to work for myself in 1991.
 
What got you interested in Stage Combat?
 I had no idea I was going to be making stage combat my life.  I took it in school with the rest of my class but when I graduated I thought I would do it on the side. Very quickly I realized that I really liked the story telling and the problem solving.  I was getting calls from people who liked how I worked and how I made them feel about performing fights.
 
Tell us about a memorable fight moment you've had.
 I remember putting together a sixteen person fight where the weapons were really pole arms and the whole action took place on the very front of a stage that had its curtain closed to hide the set.  With very little room but tremendous acting the performers made the audience feel like they were watching hundreds of people trying to drive each other's army off the field.  It was a really amazing moment.
 
Favourite weapon (and why):
 The one in my hand and the next one I am going to pick up.
 
Favourite Fight film/play:
 I always loved the three and four musketeers with Oliver Reed and the Ray Harryhausen films.  Oh and the Quiet Man with John Wayne. 

Favourite famous fighter:
 Todd Campbell
 
Role you wish you could have played:
I'll let you know later.
 
Favourite drink that audience members should buy you after witnessing your awesome in Duel of Ages:
 It is an amusing little cocktail called tickets for the next show.

Anything else you'd like to plug:
Rapier WitCanada's oldest stage combat school and production company.  We have basic classes starting January 18 and run till March as well as an intensive in June running 12 to 26.


No comments: