Sunday, January 9, 2011

Get To Know Your Fighters - Chris Sironi

For your edification we present to you "Get To Know Your Fighters" where you . . . get to know the fighters . . . from DUEL OF AGES. Because, as we all know, knowledge is power. As is the ability to kick ass.



Chris Sironi
Roles in DUEL OF AGES: Livarot (Le Duel Des Mignons), Blackie (The Pen and the Gun), Crazy Ninja Death Squad (One)




How long have you been fighting. Uh... the fake kind of fighting?
About 5 years now

What got you interested in Stage Combat?
I have a background in Shotokan Karate and Tae Kwon Do, and I had always been interested in being physical. In my first year of theatre school I saw some unarmed choreography that Dan Levinson did, and thought, “I WILL learn how to do this!” The rest is history.

Tell us about a memorable fight moment you've had.
Once, I remember performing as Tybalt in Tempest Theatre's production of Romeo and Juliet. I was opposite Todd Campbell's (our illustrious leader) Mercutio, and we were performing the fight scene at the culmination of the first act. Somewhere in the fight, I completely blanked - Todd knew it - and there was a pause that *had* to end, so we both performed a lunge... at each other's heads... I don't know whether it was our fear, or the training that kicked in, but we both did some crazy evasion and dodged each others thrusts. It ended up looking badass :) I will never do that again...

Favourite Weapon (and why):
No weapon at all. Hand to hand combat is what gets me. Deliver the message up close and personal. Audience members really connect with it, because everyone has had a physical situation at one point in their life, and can relate

Favourite Fight Film/Play:
I have to agree with Sabrina and say The Matrix as well. Matrix Reloaded specifically, when Neo’s gotten all fearless and awesome

Favourite Famous Fighter:
Jean Claude Van Damme. He may have been surpassed in movie stardom by the Jackie Chan’s and Jet Li’s, but he was who initially got me excited about martial arts on screen. Those massive 360 split kicks…man. It’s silly, but the spectacle gets me

Role you wish you could have played:
Neo from the Matrix

Favourite drink that audience members should buy you after witnessing you're awesome in Duel of Ages:
Tequila. Pre-Hangover juice.

Anything else you'd like to plug:
Come and see the show folks. You won't have seen anything like it before.



No comments: