Monday, January 10, 2011

Get To Know Your Fighters . . . er Directors . . . - Rosanna Saracino

For your edification we present to you "Get To Know Your Fighters" where you . . . get to know the fighters . . . and in this case directors . . .  from DUEL OF AGES. Because, as we all know, knowledge is power. As is the ability to kick ass.




Rosanna Saracino
Director "Two Swords"
Costume Design for DUEL OF AGES



How long have you been working with fighters?
As a director, I have often worked with Fight Directors, including Todd Campbell, Scott Moyle, and Simon Fon, in both my theatre and film projects. Simon's work can be seen in my short film "The Ring" (www.redhanded.ca).

What got you interested in Stage Combat? 
I am Italian, combat came with the territory - as did opera, homemade pasta, and an obsession with using red apples in every theatre/film piece I have ever directed. Two Swords marks my debut in apple-less directing.

Tell us about a memorable fight moment you've had. 
I trained with Simon Fon in stage combat when I was attending my Masters in Directing at York University. He was teaching the class Aikido rolls, and there was no way I thought flinging my head toward the ground was a good idea. Simon handed me a dagger, having noticed my interest in the weaponry and said, "now, do the roll". Given the weapon, I performed one of the finest Aikido rolls ever - to Simon's utter delight, or perhaps dismay...A love for combat was born!

Favourite weapon (and why): 
Well, perhaps daggers as a result of the previous story - but I do love a good broadsword!

Favourite Fight film/play: 
Duel of Ages!!!

Favourite famous fighter: 
I gotta support my boys so: Simon Fon, Mike Dufays, Olaf Sham, Scott Leaver. Special mention to Todd Campbell and Scott Moyle, because I love their work.

Role you wish you could have played: 
Am not an actor by nature, but have had a secret penchant to play Macbeth for decades. Not "Lady" Macbeth, Macbeth proper.

Favourite drink that audience members should buy you after witnessing your awesome in Duel of Ages: 
hot water, honey, touch of lemon

Other mentionables:
check out my website: www.redhanded.ca, and stay tuned for my upcoming production of The Penelopiad by Atwood.

No comments: