Thursday, January 13, 2011

Get To Know Your Fighters - Dean Rideout

For your edification we present to you "Get To Know Your Fighters" where you . . . get to know the fighters . . . from DUEL OF AGES. Because, as we all know, knowledge is power. As is the ability to kick ass.


Dean Rideout
Roles in DUEL OF AGES: King's Guard (Le Duel Des Mignons), Dancer (La Maupin)



How long have you been fighting. Uh . . . the fake kind of fighting?
It all started when I was back at Sheridan College for Music Theatre Performance and Dan Levinson came in to teach our basic unarmed class. He taught me how to beat the crap out of someone while holding a phone! ...Safely, of course.

What got you interested in Stage Combat?
After having a taste of it at Sheridan, an upcoming project of mine required a little bit of piratey sword play. Just at this time there was a basic intensive coming up, and I figured it was meant to be!

Tell us about a memorable fight moment you've had.
It may not be an actual moment in a fight, but I've had a very memorable fight partner. While I was taking my basic intensive at Rapier Wit, I was strangely the only Canadian taking the class. Though most were American, one girl in my class was from New Zealand, and she was the coolest! Marvelling over the cheap produce and the niceness of Toronto was very groovy, then I got to match blades with her in a great pirate scene!

Favourite weapon (and why):
The scimitar! Can you tell I have a thing for pirates?

Favourite Fight film/play:
The Protector. Or the sheer ridiculousness of something like Shoot 'Em Up.

Favourite famous fighter:
Johnny Depp swashbuckling away in Pirates!

Role you wish you could have played:
I still hope to play Mercutio one day.

Favourite drink that audience members should buy you after witnessing your awesome in Duel of Ages:
If it's free, anything in the beer tent sounds fantastic!

Anything else you'd like to plug:
Come see me and some very talented young people in A Chorus Line with Toronto Youth Theatre! Opens February 10th.



No comments: