Friday, January 7, 2011

Get To Know Your Fighters - Olaf Sham

For your edification we present to you "Get To Know Your Fighters" where you . . . get to know the fighters . . . from DUEL OF AGES. Because, as we all know, knowledge is power. As is the ability to kick ass.


Olaf Sham
Roles in DUEL OF AGES: Gosuke (Two Swords), Crazy Ninja Death Squad (One)




How long have you been fighting. Uh . . . the fake kind of fighting?
I've been fake fighting for about 10 years on and off.

What got you interested in Stage Combat?
I took my first workshop in 1999 and found it to be very invigorating. Once I learn the art of knapping combined with stage punching there was no turning back for me!

Tell us about a memorable fight moment you've had.
There was one fight where we had choreographed a found weapon fight in a tiny kitchen for a short film. There's nothing like encompassing everyday objects into a choreographed fight so we used a number pots and pans to create the illusion of a domestic dispute. However, my favourite moment was getting my head smashed by the freezer door...so much fun!

Favourite weapon (and why):
My favourite weapon would have to be the smallsword. I just love how the quickness and finesse of this weapon makes one look so graceful and effortless when using it properly.

Favourite Fight film/play:
It's a scene in Ong Bak where Tony Jaa fights a bunch of guys up a spiral staircase. I think it's a 5 minute scene where there was only one camera cut. (there may have been two) Nonetheless utterly amazing!

Favourite famous fighter:
Jackie Chan. I just love the way he combines fighting with comedy.

Role you wish you could have played:
I would love to play the Asian Macbeth! (Well, we all have our dreams!)

Favourite drink that audience members should buy you after witnessing your awesome in Duel of Ages:
Highland Park 21 year... neat (I don't expect anyone to find it anywhere or buy it for me). However, I challenge anyone to chug a Guinness faster than me! So Tasty!


No comments: